Saturday, August 1, 2009

Battle of the Beasts

My friends I have reached a new ground with these films. I am honestly at a loss for a loser. Do I fault the original for its cheesiness when the technology was simply not available at that time? Do I blame Jackson's version for being so damn long when he was able to achieve EVERYTHING that the original was trying to? I think there is only one answer. For the first time...we have...a...

TIE

The first one lacked the technology but was still very entertaining. Its a movie I honestly would not mind watching again--which is a big accomplishment for an oldie, no matter how classic or groundbreaking. The remake was fantastic. It was Cooper's movie fully realized.

But don't just take my word for it. Go watch both films. Watching them back to back will help you appreciate both films so much more. Seriously, go. Then come back here and tell me if you agree. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hm. Well...I suppose you're right. Jackson really did an amazing job with his version although sitting through that long of a movie is kind of insane. But at the same time, I feel like if the movie wasn't as long as it was a portion of the purpose/direction of Jackson's vision could have been lost on the cutting room floor.

    I guess the real question here would be whether or Cooper intended to take the movie to the same level Jackson did but wasn't able to due to lack of technology or if he never meant for Kong to fight 3 monster dinosaurs or for the production crew to fight off huge insects. Really it all comes down to: Did Jackson continue what Cooper started or did he create all of this on his own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the remake was an outstanding film that included as much technology as great story and logic. I have watched both films and I agree with you, even though the first one lacked technology, it was still a huge hit for that time, and it was very interesting. I have to say I loved both of them, but in the newest one, that is really a big gorilla looks like.

    Great blog.

    ReplyDelete