Tuesday, July 7, 2009

To remake or not to remake....What was the question?

Before I dive into the the film watching fun I want to go ahead and set up my initial opinion on remakes. My opinion will undoubtedly evolve as my quest continues and by the end it will hopefully be much sturdier than it is now--because right now I have mixed emotions.

One one hand...
I HATE the repetition in movies today. Like I said in my first post, I am always ready for something new, something I haven't seen before. Making money off someone else's past flop (or success) also seems pretty wrong. A lot of people today share this view. In his terribly one-sided blog "Why Movie Remakes and Sequels Suck" Jonathan Marine somewhat eloquently complains that

"Remakes limit the the potential quality with no regard for the actual product and total regard for its marketability."

Why would anyone support such a greedy and unimaginative practice?

Well, I have to believe in my heart of hearts that there are producers, writers, and actors out there who truly just want to take something that once had potential--but perhaps didn't have the technology or resources--and do it right. Not to mention, think how many great films we would never have been able to enjoy if people never remade movies! Scarface, Father of the Bride, Cape Fear, The Ring!

So for now my opinion stands at Yea for remakes. Let's see how that changes after the first round.

First to duke it out will be Hong Kong's Infernal Affairs and Oscar Winner The Departed. Let the gunfire begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment